Thursday, January 26, 2017

The Privilege Of Doing Things Over

In addition to sharing my Momma D advice and encouragement with you each month I've also been privileged to do the same for parents in Australia and the Philippians. I know, it’s crazy, isn’t it? A gal from Mid-Missouri giving advice to parents in three continents—just one of the many wonders of the internet.

Anyway…several months ago the magazine in Australia asked me to write an article on “Parenting MBA”—MBA being short for Minimal Behavior Accepted. The purpose of the article, I was told, was to motivate parents to decide what their ‘threshold of pain’ was in regards to how much they were willing to let slide before saying ‘enough is enough’.

As I thought about the angle the magazine's editor suggested I take, something both Granny and her mom (my great-grandma) always said kept running through my mind….

“If you don’t do it right the first time you will have the privilege of doing it again.”
There’s nothing minimal or MBA about that, is there? Neither Grandma or Granny was satisfied with anyone doing just enough to get by. I don’t remember it being enough for my mom either, and I know it wasn’t enough for John and me when we were raising our kids. And you want to know something?I’m glad for it.

Taking a minimal standards approach to parenting is damaging to your child's self-confidence and self-respect. Instead of sending the message that says you have confidence in their ability to do AND to learn, you are saying: 
*I won’t expect too much because I don’t think you are capable of giving it.

*I won’t expect too much because it doesn’t really matter. 
On top of that, you are encouraging your child to be lazy, irresponsible, selfish, and disrespectful of authority. I know that sounds harsh, but it's true...sadly true. 
Social media is flooded with posts and tweets about ‘the good ‘ole days’ and ‘remember when’s’ that speak of a time when respect, hard work, self-sufficiency, and other solid character traits were the norm rather than the exception they seem to be today. So if we really do long for that type of society and lifestyle again, then it’s up to those of you who are raising children to do something about it—something like raising the bar and setting higher expectations for your children than just minimal standards of behavior. 
I’m thankful I was expected to do things right--or do them over. I’m also not apologizing for having expected the same from my kids. What's more, I'm sure they wouldn’t want me to. Children need to know you believe they are capable of more than doing just enough to get by. Their confidence and success as a productive child and adult depends on it. So instead of settling for the least they can give, help them discover how much they have to offer. 

Love,
Momma D

                      Copyright 2019 Darla Noble. No part of this can be used or copied without permission from the author. 
                                                                                                                









                                                                                                                    

No comments:

Post a Comment