Tuesday, March 1, 2016

President of the Fan Club


I still remember the feelings I had when Zach would cross the finish line at a cross-country meet. Pride and pride…two different kids. 
Before I explain what I mean, I want to take a minute to say that cross-country running is the most grueling sport there is as well as the most under-appreciated one. If you don’t believe me, ask anyone who has done it…or their mom. 
Anyway…the first pride I felt was the ‘normal’ kind of pride because a) I was witnessing Zach accomplish something difficult and doing it very, very well b) He was doing something I could never do…ever c) His discipline and commitment to the sport were paying off and he was realizing emotional and physical success because of it. 
As for the second kind of pride (which is really first in this momma’s heart)…it was the pride of being the one he looked for when he crossed the finish line. I remember on a few occasions I was lucky enough to be on side of the finishing line when he crossed and having him literally fall into my arms—exhausted and excited all at the same time. Zach wanted and needed me…his mom!
 More than fifteen years later Zach has a loving, beautiful wife, precious daughters, and is a strong, capable and intelligent man, but he still wants to share his accomplishments, news, and even some of the trivial things in life with me. And I couldn’t be happier or feel more blessed and honored. 
He also needs to. He needs to because I’m Mom and kids need their moms. 
No matter how old your kids get, how much or how little they have, or how accomplished they are, they still want and need your validation, your ‘way to go’, your expressions of pride, and to know you are, and will always be their biggest fan. 
Don’t let them down. 

Love,
Momma D
                                Copyright 2016 Darla Noble. No part of this can be copied or used without permission from the author.
                                                                                  


No comments:

Post a Comment