Thursday, May 8, 2014

The Ultimate Mother's Day Gift

This has been a blessed week for our family. Early Tuesday morning John and I welcomed our 5th grandchild, Esther Kathleen, into our family. It’s hard to believe our baby girl is now a momma, but in watching Emma and Dwight love and care for their sweet baby girl, I know she’s in great hands.

I am fortunate enough to be able to be spending this special time with Emma, Dwight and Esther. And throughout the course of these last few days I am continually drawn to these thoughts:
Cherish your children. No child asks to be born. They have no say in who brings them into this world. If for this reason only, every child deserves to be cherished and cared for as if they are the most important person on earth by the ones they call Mom and Dad.

Don’t take your children for granted. Two doors down from Emma and Dwight’s room were a mommy and daddy who will be leaving the hospital with empty arms because their baby was stillborn. Babies are God’s greatest miracle. Even on the not-so-easy days we need to appreciate the cries, smiles, colic, dirty diapers, sleepless nights, fingers wrapped tightly around yours and the sounds of contentment.  

Give thanks for life. Minutes after Esther was born I heard Dwight thank Emma for their daughter. At that moment I immediately recalled those first moments after I gave birth the first time—to our son, Zach. I can still see the smile and happy tears on John’s face as he kissed me and said, over and over, “Thank you, thank you so much.” Sometimes we get too busy living life to appreciate it. Don’t let this happen to you—especially when it comes to enjoying your children.
And finally…

Hannah should be the model for all mothers (1st Samuel 1:21 through 2:11). Hannah understood that children are a gift from God; a gift we are to share back with him. I am thankful my children understand this when it comes to raising my grandchildren. I am especially thankful that on this Mother’s Day I will be able to witness Emma and Dwight dedicating Esther to God before their church family and themselves to being the parents God desires them to be.  

Each year on Mother’s Day cards are signed, flowers are sent, dinners are cooked and gifts are given.While I’m not saying that’s a bad thing, I’ve been reminded this week that being a mom is the gift and that there is absolutely nothing I could receive that could top the honor and blessing God has given me in being a mom and nanna.

Zach, Elizabeth, Olivia, Emma, Rebecca, Craig, Matthew, Dwight, Mackenzie, Macy, Reuben, Laney and Esther, you are the ultimate Mother’s Day gifts.

Happy Mother's Day,

Momma D

No comments:

Post a Comment